How to Find the Best
MS Project Alternative for macOS
MS Project is by far the most popular project management software on the market, at least among Windows users. You are a proud Mac user? No problem. You are in the right place to find all the information you need about MS Project compatibility and project management software alternatives for macOS.
Is there a version of MS Project for Mac?
No, MS Project is not produced for macOS. Microsoft sells versions of their Office applications but no project management equivalent. However, there are alternatives which are just as powerful as MS Project.
How to find the best MS Project alternative for macOS
There is a wide range of project management applications available. To decide which solution is the best fit for you, you should first get very clear about your requirements. We have put together several questions to get you started on your reflection process:
- Online/offline functionalities: Do you want to work online only or do you prefer to be able to access and edit your project data online as well as offline?
- Compatibility: Should project documents be readable on operating systems other than macOS?
- Mobility: How important is mobile access to your project data?
- Customization: Which level of customization do you want your software to offer?
- Collaboration: Do you want several users to read and edit documents at the same time? Do you need to depict different levels of authorization?
- Import/export: Which formats do you need to import and export?
- Budget: What is your budget?
- Support: What kind of support is available? How many ressources are offered for free online?
- Testing: Is it possible to download a free demo version?
Of course, you should define your own priorities and add your individual questions, i.e. Do you need milestones? Do you want a budgeting tool as part of your project management software suite? Which functions do you expect from resource planning?
A project mangement software fulfilling all aspects mentioned above is Merlin Project. It combines professional functionalities with intuitive usability and may well be considered the most powerful MS Project alternative for macOS currently available.
Merlin Project: MS Project Professional for Mac users
Merlin Project is an application you can customize to meet your individual needs. It can be used as a simple tool for small projects as well as an all-in- one solution for complex project management. Merlin Project can keep up with your project evolution. The application supports mobile usage and cloud collaboration via Merlin Server, a secure server.
- Online/offline functionalities: You can edit all your project data offline and online.
- Compatibility: You can open and edit MS Project documents with Merlin Project.The application supports import as well as export of MS Project data.
- Mobility: You can plan your project purchasing the app Merlin Project Go. If you do not have the app, you can still edit your project via web browser from location independent.
- Customization: You have a variety of options to customize the user interface of Merlin Project according to your preferences.
- Collaboration: You can use Merlin Project with multiple users at the same time. You can define individual levels of authorization for each user and project document. Also, it is possible to make changes in a private work area and synch those changes later to share them with other team members.
- Import/export: Besides MS Project data all major file formats are supported.
- Budget: You pay for using Merlin Project. The slicker version Merlin Project Express is available as a paid monthly subscription you can cancel at any time. You can download the Express version via AppStore or SetApp.
- Support: You can contact the support team of Merlin Project via email. You will get a response within a few hours from Monday to Friday. Moreover, there is a growing supply of learning material you can download or read for free on the website, i.e. documentation, quick guides or faq.
Is there a free alternative to MS Project?
Saas applications for project management have attracted more and more attention in the last years. Managing teams without being restricted by limits of operating systems, without worrying about IT infrastructure and file exchange – saas applications promised the perfect solution. Lots of producers offer their tools on a subscription basis and almost as many offer free versions for beginners. We strongly advise against using those free project management tools as alternatives for MS Project.
Some of the saas applications may be a good fit for private use. They are nice task management tools but they do not allow a comprehensive project planning as they lack important elements like budget planning, resource management or a variety of different views i.e. gantt charts, mind maps or organization charts. Professional project management for free? Too good to be true. Better invest in a slick project management solution and be sure to benefit from all necessary features and an intuitive usability.
Why you do not need Microsoft Project Viewer for Mac
You are already working with lots of different tools. Keep your set of tools small to not loose time and nerves searching for information. If you are using Merlin Project or Merlin Project Express, you don't need additional project management tools. Therefore, you also do not need MS Project viewer. As mentioned, MS Project documents can be opened and edited with Merlin Project just fine.
Free demo version of MS Project Planner alternatives for Mac
Every professional project management application should allow full version testing before buying. If you are looking for an alternative to MS Project your practical experience with other tools is an important part of your decision making.
You can download and test Merlin Project for 30 days. Start your free trial by clicking here. If you are interested in Merlin Project Express, you can subscribe via AppStore and use the application depending on your subscription model up to four weeks for free before being charged. If you download the app via SetApp you will not be charged for the first month of use, either.